A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Friday, July 6, 2012

Thoughts from a sports parent...

I am a parent of just four kids whose ages range from 18 to 5.  I had to drive my second oldest child from Long Island, NY to PA.  As I was driving to our hotel, I realized that it was a hotel that we had been to before about 3 years ago.  It's funny how just one symbolic building brought back so many memories.  Then again the death of two childhood friends this week also brought back many memories from long ago.  It's amazing that in my short 47 years of living, how much has happened.

I remember seeing the first commercially available cellular phones, that people carried in hand.  The case was almost as big (and definitely more builky) as a case for a Macbook or large tablet.  Anyone watching the first "Lethal Weapon" movie can still see Danny Glover carrying such a cell phone from his car to have a private conversation with the police department's counselor.

Heck, you can even watch repeat episodes of "Miami Vice" and see how the American TV audience was introduced to the "first" car cell phones in 1984 (to be more accurate, I do recall watching police TV shows in the late '70's that used car/radio phones, very similar to what I believe would later become Vice's cell phone).  Either way, after my kid's team won the game and we went back to the hotel...I had a vision of seeing myself sitting at a campfire and talking to my grand kids about the history of cell phones.

Me: <spooky voice> "...We used to carry the battery for the phone...in a separate bag!" <watching the horrified faces of my grandchildren>
Me: "And...here's the scary part....even after we shrunk the phone and battery down to the size of a shoe...it still would only just make...phone calls!" <watching grandchildren jump up and run to their parents screaming and crying - away from grandpa>

Ah yes...time does move on.  And finally I have my first blog.  :-)

JS LES

No comments:

Post a Comment