A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Friday, June 27, 2014

Cellular Phone Etiquette 101: The Commuter Train



Two Fridays ago I took the Long Island Railroad commuter railroad into New York City.  I was going to see an off Broadway play.  I sat next to a husband and wife, both in their late 40's and they were sitting across from one another.  The train ride was only about 40 minutes long.  I didn't have much eye contact with the couple sitting next to me outside of a our initial friendly "hello" when I sat down.

About halfway through the ride, a woman, in her mid 20's, and who was sitting behind us got on her cellular phone and called another female friend.  She then began talking to this female friend, (rather loudly I might add) about the sale of Victoria Secret lingerie she caught online earlier in the day online.  A female friend later advised me that Victoria's Secret had huge sale for that 3 day weekend, and that if you had coupons and shopped via the Internet, you really could have saved some serious bucks.  However, with all of that being said - this young woman was indeed loud, indiscreet and was explicit about what she purchased, their colors and size and fit.

Initially she only mentioned the sale and her discounts.  Which me and the wife of the couple I was sitting next to overheard and we both chuckled.  It was slowly hitting us that we both heard the same thing.  Then she mentioned more information about the VS items that she purchased, which now caused me and the husband to look at each other incredulously.  Meanwhile his wife continued  to quietly chuckle.  Then the husband and I began chuckling too as the young woman began to talk  more about the sizes and colors and how they would fit her hips.  By now the three of us were building up to a quiet "guffaw" by this point.  By the time the woman closed off the conversation with how she couldn't wait to wear them all (she bought about 15 sets if I'm not mistaken) we were all in tears trying to restrain ourselves as other passengers around us were also listening in and laughing.

I quickly posted the experience on Facebook for which one of my friends retorted "I guess Victoria's Secret isn't a secret any more."   I was quick to share that hilarious, quick witted remark with the couple next to me, for which we all again laugh - but this time rather loudly.  The young woman was clueless as she segued her conversation onto another topic.  She then abruptly ended her conversation as she knew we were about 9 minutes from entering the tunnel and her cellular service would be interrupted anyway.

Later on Facebook, many of my other friends who commute via train or bus commented that this occurrence of people talking loudly on a cell phone while riding on a crowded train or bus has become more of a common occurrence than I knew.  One friend said to me, "I hear about people's personal lives and their life issues while riding the train into the city."  I personally haven't had to commute via bus or train in well over 25 years, so I wasn't aware of how rude people have become while talking on their cellular phones.  But somehow or another, this has become "common".

Hey all of you fellow cellular phone users listen up and listen up but good!  It is rude, stupid and embarrassing to loudly talk about all of your personal issues and business on a crowded train or bus.  Keep a lid on it will ya??

No comments:

Post a Comment