A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

When Art Reflects Real Life...A Tattoo From A New Friend...



"I went through a lot.  My dad was a severe alcoholic and also did heavy drugs, so I had a tough childhood.  That's where this tattoo comes from.  He died at the age of 49 in 1998.  I started drinking a lot myself.  This is me with my head down and crying while holding all my fears and tears from all I've been through in life...trying to hide it all from everyone."


Those are the words from a new friend who has dared to send me her tattoes, with the stories of their symbolism and meaning.  She happens to be a fellow Lower East Sider, 11 years younger than me, and who like myself, has since migrated out of the area.  Despite the fact that we never knew each other before she responded to my tattoo request - there was an unbelievable and instant connection of understanding and recognition of her pain and experiences.  I either witnessed or experienced so much of the same that she went through.  She grew up just one or two blocks from my middle school at a time when many negative social issues where overwhelming the neighborhood.

So I say these words to her and to others throughout the world who may have felt this same way in the past or the present - you are not alone.  No one gets through this life unscathed.  Truly what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  We have survived.  We are alive.  And now we live to tell, to teach, to share...perhaps to save the life and soul of someone younger than us.

So to those still living and going through changes - here is our message:  Just keep the faith.  Continue to lean towards the positive.  Do not allow the tempting thoughts of the negative slip in and take you off your righteous path towards a positive life.  Resort to as many positive people around you that you can - or even reach out here to me through this blog.  Email me at NYEastside.info@gmail.com

A million "thank you's" to my new sister for sharing her tattoos.  I knew that she has more to show us and teach us.  But, I had to start off everyone who reads my blog with just a glimpse of some powerful symbolism in the world of tattoos.  There is much more to come.


John S LES


No comments:

Post a Comment