A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"Who I am" by Jenny Cando

This brilliant and original poem was written by a reader who has now become a good friend the past several months.  Here's another great poem for breast cancer awareness month.  Please do enjoy.



"Who I Am"

by Jenny Cando


After my shower I got again depressed.
I need to tell this to get off my chest.

I don't like the reflection in the mirror.
Each time I see them, my pain becomes clearer.

This is not how my breasts are supposed to be.
They don't look like those on the magazine covers I see.

They are not full and plump, and they are not round.
They are not the perfect pink, tan or chocolate brown.

I worry they're not symmetrical or spherical
So I press them in a bra that promised some miracles.

For the lady on the magazine cover that bra looks fine.
But oh my God, not on mine, oh mine.

I put on a shirt big and that's nice and wide
Not because I like it, but so I can try and hide

These clothes that are suppose to make me feel...
feminine and desired...
Instead make me reel...their designers should be fired.

No matter where I look in the media I can only see
Those perfect breasts...they just keep haunting me.

Billboards, newspapers, movies or TV - society is so mean.
Even the on my phone and laptop - they shake and titillate on my screen

No, I don't look like that at all.
I'm not that poster on the wall.

The media is telling me how I should be
And if I am not, then do I need surgery?

But does all of that and all of this - make me who I am?
No.  I'm so much more than just these two mammary glands.

Then who am I - no - WHO I AM?
Today I am a woman who is now taking a stand.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jenny
    How many talents more do you have?
    Doing 2 jobs, you still find the time to do marvellous things.
    Your work in church, singing, teaching the children, taking beautiful pics, and now poems too?
    I still have so much more to discover about you.
    I like this a lot, congratulations, it really tells how women feel. And yes Jenny, you are so much more than just those 2! Hihi
    John, you met an incredible woman here. Hope to find more work of Jenny here, keep inspiring her.
    Jenny, keep going, the Lord is here to guide you in your work. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly for your words dear friend.
    I have to thank John for giving me the inspiration and some space on his blog so thank you John!
    We try to do some good work here.
    And I know, we have to continue it is really important to help each other.
    When we can contribute by writing a poem, well that's what we'll do.
    Thank you for passing by, come again from time to time and please share this with your friends.

    ReplyDelete