A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Everybody Hates Being Sick

I really hate being sick.

Yesterday I woke up so nauseous from a stomach bug that I was dreaming about it in my sleep as I woke up.  Between my co-workers, family and neighbors catching this bug, I guess my turn was next? 

One of the most common things about being sick is that as soon as you tell a family member or friend, they all begin to advise you of their own self-medicinal approach to getting better.  "Drink some tea."  "Drink warm ginger ale soda" "Stay in bed and get some rest.  You run around too much and wear yourself down."

You know just as the nausea was overwhelming me along with the painful stomach cramps, the first thing I was thinking was that I was going to have to put off my training for the 2016 Olympics for a day or two.  As I was walking towards my bathroom stall feeling like I wanted to heave, I couldn't help myself but to think - hey a flattened ginger ale soda will stop this feeling right in it's tracks!

I've taken so many different over the counter medications over the years, that there's a couple that I just will never, ever take again, just on general principle.  First, is that Pepto Bismo.  That stuff is suppose to help with stomach ache and nausea, yet taking a dose of that stuff causes nothing BUT nausea and stomach pain.  One spoonful of Pepto Bismo makes me want to vomit.  Just writing about it is making me sick right now.  My mother gave that to me enough times as a kid, that as an adult I'd rather be water boarded  than take another spoonful.

The other thing is Milk of Magnesia.  Milk of Magnesia...oh how friendly that name sounds.  That's right up there with Tony the Tiger and King Vitamin cereal.  When you're a kid, you just love milk!  And the world "magnesia" seems so innocuous...that is until you've had a spoonful.  "Hey little Bobby, would you like some Milk of Magnesia with your Khashi Crunch cereal?  We figure your colon needed to be squeaky clean for the next 3 days.  Why don't you sit down and have a bowl?"

Another part of being sick is all the bed rest you get.  When you're a natural insomniac like me, sleeping during the day does not do wonders for me going to bed at a reasonable hour at night.  during the day, I had to go out once for a drop off and pick up an hour later.  Other than that I stayed in my bed.  I was in my bed so much I started to get bed sores. <shaking my head>  I can't sit still more than a hour at a time.

What a yucky feeling laying in bed all day.  That's one of those ideas that sounds good when you're going on vacation, or have been working your tail off for weeks and months and can use some rest, but laying in bed does get old after a few hours.  As I get older I loathe the idea more and more of having to ever lay in a sick bed recovering from some ailment or surgery.  After a while it really can drive you nuts.  The family didn't care:  "Come on, get out of bed and get back to work old man!  Hop on one leg if you have to!"  But my dogs cared very much.  Nothing like seeing three Rotweilers in silent vigil around my bed all day and night.

Well that's enough about me.  I'll be fine.

I hope those of you who believe in God will join me in prayer to the family of a coworker whose 70 something year old mother is recovering from being hit by a car.  She is alive, her healing will be extensive, but her pains will be long standing.  Also I am sending out prayers to any of you or your loved ones who also may be in some form of pain or suffering from an injury or health issue.  I wish good health onto everyone this week, this month, this winter season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment