A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Call For Artistic Assistance...Answered!

Sometimes we start a project, thinking it will require just a modicum of our effort...and sometimes we start a project that upon being in the middle of the endeavor, we find out that it is really involved and will require greater concentration and/or time and effort than we could have imagined.  At the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves was it worth it?  Did we accomplish what we started out to do?

I remember writing early on this blog, that when we are deeply involved in something artistical, we don't achieve it, more than we begin to discover it, as it envelopes us.  We actually become it.

Those who've known me for a long time, always know that I've been involved in writing.  I switched majors twice in college in the '80's, shopped a screenplay in '97 and a couple of manuscripts sometime after that, all to no avail.  Although I always spurred some interest, I never could close a deal.  Through it all I continued to live life, kept my day job and raise a family...and still dreamed.  I tried and failed two years ago to set up a serial story web site due to software issues and training.  Then after a year of being prodded by friends to do "something" looked into blogging.  I started this blog in July and now...four months later...I have four blogs.  Soon I will be back to working on that darn web site.  Believe me...those stories are really good!

Each one of my current four blogs requires a different approach.  My resources are limited and as I've twice mentioned in previous posts, I do not wish to fall into any situation where I can be sued for royalties for using pictures from others on this blog.  I use Internet pictures pretty regularly to tell a joke on Facebook, but here on this blog, I am not afforded the same legal latitude.  Nor can I afford being left open to any after the fact royalty lawsuit.

Then came the Google challenges and changes.  I know I have you friends, fans, followers out there keeping a steady tab on me.  Believe me, I'm well past just being appreciative.  I am humbled and thankful that I can write something to excite, interest, help or simply share something that affects you positively in some kind of way.  I've made friends overseas and cross country.  Ironically, as much as I write my Google blogging experience in these things, with all the Google changes, about a month ago I've considered moving my writings over to another blog domain.  I didn't want Google's changes affecting my writings or my growth.  I do not want to merge this blog with Google Plus.  Not everyone wants to visit this blog in that way.  However, after some careful financially based decisions, I decided to stick with my guns...through Google.  I'm leaving the access (format) as is, and branching out with my additional blogs through this present format.

It doesn't stop there.  Some Google deadlines are coming up with regard to advertisements.  Another pressure.  It's like getting kicked to the curb.  I want to keep what I write from falling into a black hole of being just limited to a small, intimate audience of friends.  I'd like to continue to grow?  With limited resources, no Madison Avenue marketing campaign, no professional models, costume department or photographers, blog launched already committed, and deadlines around the corner...I privately contacted friends for some help.  ARTISTIC HELP!

Through whatever misunderstandings, or misperceptions, or miscommunications...I lost two friends in this process...but also received an out pour of help and encouragement from others.  Whether it was the four hours spent with a friend from Ohio (on a Friday night) helping me use computer software to compose elements in a picture (via back and fourth emails and Facebook chat) till we got the final product right, or friends in England snapping on the fly pictures for use, or a close by friend sending me four pictures that were near studio quality, taken with her cell phone - they all understood what I needed and responded with positive thoughts, suggestions and corrections.  Lastly, I cannot forget the two other friends who have kept texting me, critiqued my changes and let me know that they supported my pursuit to get better and understood exactly what I needed.  To ALL of you this week...you've healed a shaken heart...and kept me on target.  You saved my concept and purpose of ESpeakeasy.  THANK YOU!

Now other readers will benefit from the positive that came out of this negative moment.

Now that the bar has been raised for ESpeakeasy, you can click any of the tabs here to get to it.  Know that the new pictures added cost me a combined time of 16 hours to produce.  Yep, at a cost of 16 hours and 2 friends.  But, no royalty issues whatsoever and a visually improved product that's on target to what it's essence is:  Young people coming of age in a decade wrought with magnificent social changes locally, nationally and globally.   I think from here forward ESpeakeasy will not fall into abyss of the Blog Universe or be forced to morph into a different format.  I think from here on, it will stand out on it's own and bring enjoyment to many people outside of my beautiful circle of friends.  Whatever mishaps and missteps occurred to this point, I bear the brunt of the responsibility.  My apologies to all.

My next story entry here will be the story entitled, "The Lesson".  I have learned mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment