A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

No Borough Bias Here - Yo Brooklyn Is Back!!



Some friends who have read my blog keep asking me why I don't show more of the other boroughs in New York City.  They wonder why I'm so borough biased.  Well...it's plain and simple.  I was born and raised in Manhattan.  But some of the best friends I've had in my life or have met come from all over the city.  As time goes on with this blog, I will be covering the uniqueness, beauty and stories from the other boroughs.    For now please do enjoy these samplings from Brooklyn.  The pictures on this page are courtesy of my friend and Brooklyn native, Ronni G!








Brooklyn has been an integral part of the creative talent pool throughout the modern history of New York City.  Yeah, yeah it has it's own negative history during the hard times economic times of urban blight from the late 1960's through the 1980's.  But just like Manhattan, Brooklyn is definitely on the economic upswing.  Things are drastically changing for the better.  There are parts of Brooklyn that look as 21st century modern as Manhattan.  So let me just take a moment to list a few Brooklyn born and raised people who have not only contributed to New York City in and of itself...but also made major contributions to the entire world.  Remember my following lists will only be a sampling of names and links, so let's not get carried away if I missed someone.

Brooklyn has produced two of Hollywood's great directors:

Mel Brooks
Spike Lee
and history film maker Ken Burns

Brooklyn has produced three great rappers:

Big Daddy Kane
The Notorious B-I-G
and of course Jay Z

Body builders and actors:

Lou Ferrigno
Eddie Murphy (NSFW)
Mayr Tyler Moore (I'm know I'm missing Mickey Rooney, Jackie Gleason, Rhea Perlman and Steve Buscemi among others)

Here's a list of a several more Brooklynites you might know:

Mayor Rudolph Giuliani
Lena Horne (I didn't forget Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand and Aliyah)
Iron Mike Tyson (NSFW - and I didn't forget Riddick Bowe)

Last but not least for now...I cannot forget what this man brought to one sport/team/franchise...and what that sport has brought to the world.  The one and only Red Auerbach

Footnote on other notables:  Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, but his family moved to North Carolina when he was a toddler.  The above list of names include people who were actually born there and lived a few years in Brooklyn before moving on with their lives.  In addition you have writers Norman Mailer, Arthur Miller and "Sienfeld" creator Larry David - all Brooklyn born.

I would hate to imagine what the last 60 years in sports, music, TV, movies and literature would be like without the contributions of just this small sample of names from above.  Many thanks to all my NYC family who are Brooklynites.  May you continue to rise again.

No comments:

Post a Comment