A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...
A City Teeming With Many Lives...and Many Stories...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy Has Arrived...

So...Hurricane Sandy has arrived in New York.  She is not nice.  She hasn't played very fair.  In fact, she has been down right nasty.  There is nothing worse than being on the outer bands of a hurricane, which usually carry a lot of rain and or ocean surge.  Then on top of that to have the largest coastal area of any two counties in the entire United States.  And then as if the formula couldn't get any worse...you add in high tide starting just as Sandy made landfall in New Jersey...just south of your shores...to really stir the sea levels up as she headed northbound.

In Manhattan, my hometown, the Hudson river has risen over the wall and onto the streets.  That's the west side of Lower Manhattan.  Over on the east side of Manhattan, the East River has also flowed over the eastern wall of Manhattan.  Wall Street is said to be under three feet of water.

Back on the home front, some 800,000 Long Islanders are without power.  I am using my mini laptop and a backup battery for my cell phone to even post this blog.  There is no power in my house, that is until I start my generator first thing in the morning.  My family is in good shape.  We have food and shelter otherwise.  But not all my friends and family will be able to say the same after today.  I already know of people who have lost cars due to falling trees, as well as beach front homes lost to the rising sea, or electrical fire - or both.  Families cut off from one another after running out to get last minute supplies, only to return to their home and find the street to their house completely sealed off by water - and other family members trapped at home.

These are those moments that push and test us from the normal comfort of our daily lives.  These are the moments that are suppose to make us re-think what is and isn't really important.  Lives over valuables and property.  Family over foolishness and trivial relationships.

Even with all these trying moments, something very nice has arisen.  Something very powerful has awakened.  Not only have my usual friends from Facebook reached out to see how I am doing, but also friends I've made through here and other social networks have also reached out to inquire if me and the family are okay. That has been a very moving and touching thing.  To actually feel humanity...the love and concern that someone has for you, especially when you can not even repay them...to feel that through a simple text message...its truly moving.

My prayers go out to those I know and don't know who are clearly going to be devastated by Hurricane Sandy, like no other storm before.  And my countless thank yous to those of you who have sent a kind word, and expressed concern for my well being.  I love you, I thank you and pray that God continues to also bless you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment